Are Distributions from a Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF) Taxable?

Posted Jun 19, 2023


A Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF) is an investment instrument for properties located in designated Qualified Opportunity Zones (QOZs) approved by the IRS. QOZs are areas identified as distressed areas that would benefit from revitalization. 

While investing in QOFs might have some tax benefits for investors, there can be tax implications. 

Taxation of Distributions

Distributions from a QOF may be subject to taxation depending on the timing and nature of the distribution.

  • If an investor receives a return of their original investment (the deferred gain) before the end of the deferral period, that distribution is generally taxable.
  • The taxable amount is based on the original gain that was deferred, subject to adjustments for any previously taxed distributions.
  • If the investor holds the investment in the QOF for the required holding period (typically 10 years), any subsequent appreciation or gains realized from the QOF investment may be eligible for tax exclusion upon sale or disposition.

Tax Deferral Benefits

The primary benefit of investing in a QOF is the potential tax deferral on capital gains. When an investor sells a capital asset and reinvests the gain in a QOF within the designated timeframe, they might be able to defer paying taxes on that gain until certain conditions are met.

Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) Holding Period

To qualify for the tax deferral benefits, the investor must hold the investment in the QOF for a specific period. The holding period requirement is ‌usually five years to defer 10% of the original gain and an additional two years to defer an additional 5% of the original gain, resulting in a potential total deferral of 15% of the original gain.

If the investor holds the investment for at least 10 years, they may be eligible for a step-up in basis, potentially excluding any capital gains on the appreciation of the QOF investment.

It's important to note that tax laws and regulations can be complex and subject to change. The specific tax treatment of distributions from a QOF may depend on various factors, including the investor's individual tax situation, the holding period, and compliance with QOF requirements.

Consulting with a qualified tax professional or advisor is highly recommended to understand the tax implications specific to your circumstances.


This material is for general information and educational purposes only. Information is based on data gathered from what we believe are reliable sources. It is not guaranteed as to accuracy, does not purport to be complete and is not intended to be used as a primary basis for investment decisions. It should also not be construed as advice meeting the particular investment needs of any investor.

Realized does not provide tax or legal advice. This material is not a substitute for seeking the advice of a qualified professional for your individual situation.

Download The Guide To Opportunity Zones

Download The Guidebook to QOZ's
Download eBook


Download The Guidebook to QOZ's

Download The Guide To Opportunity Zones

Learn More About Qualified Opportunity Zones Investments.

By providing your email and phone number, you are opting to receive communications from Realized. If you receive a text message and choose to stop receiving further messages, reply STOP to immediately unsubscribe. Msg & Data rates may apply. To manage receiving emails from Realized visit the Manage Preferences link in any email received.